Sunday, March 21, 2010

Grid Art and Surrealism





This is my grid art project. I used a scrabble board as my grid and decided to do my own take of Van Gogh's "Starry Night." I based my picture of the central swirl of wind in the painting and using mosaic tiles I followed the grid, yet simultaneously broke it in order to achieve the circular motion. I used sequins to create the moon and different stars. It ended up being a fun experiment and unlike anything I've ever done.
Class was very interesting on Wednesday. We focused a lot on the artwork of Marcel Deuchamp. He starts as an impressionist painter who fell on the side of more realistic art and transitions to more abstract surrealist cubism and installation art. He is famous for turning ordinary objects into artwork such as R. Mutt: the photograph of a urinal turned upside down. I must admit I had a hard time seeing the value until Santiago talked about how it was decontextualizing a familiar object by taking it out of its natural place and exposing the beauty of simply the object out of its expected context. Boy does he have a sense of humor too! His piece where he has drawn a mustache on the Mona Lisa includes the initials L.H.O.O.Q. which when pronounced phonetically in French translates to "Her ass is on fire!" It's hilarious to think that artists were being this subversive this early in the 1900s.
Un Chien Andalou was very trippy. It was like a car crash that you cant turn away from. The images that stuck out as memorable were obviously the famous eye cutting sequence, the graphic sequence of the man trying to molest a woman, bugs eating their way into a man's hand, and a moth with an image of a skull on the back of its head. It seemed like a nightmare. I'll be interested to see if we talk anymore in class about what the hidden meanings could be.

6 comments:

  1. The Scrabble Starry Night idea is a lovely take on a classic piece. Da Vinci's piece is immediately recognizable, and I love the way you made it your own. I also really like the way you used the grid but then broke out of it as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how it is so much like a grid with the mosaics and the board, but it breaks it, making a a very strong connection to the original Starry night. I think you did a really nice interpretation here, and you were incredibly creative with with the way you used the grid for some parts and not with others

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like that you use an already existing grid and made your art over it, but not in the form of the grid. I think that yours was the most unique project, and i love glitter so that made it even better for me to look at :). nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loooooved stary night!!!! i thought it had a great twist to a traditional/famous painting! plus not to mention i am the Scrabble Queen and i love anything that has to deal with Srabble!. i liked your own interpretation, van Gough would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked how you really thought outside the box on this one. You used the existing grid of the scrabble board to create your grid on top of. I also liked how you drew inspiration from Van Gogh's piece which is very swirling and doesn't seem like it could be created from a grid. Great job!

    ReplyDelete